Project Background - How We Got Here
The Town of Lincoln is committed to building a strong, vibrant community by ensuring sustainable growth that serves the long-term interest of our economy, businesses, environment, and our citizens. A key to creating that prosperous future is the Town of Lincoln’s Economic Development Strategy & Action Plan 2019-2023, which identified tourism as one of the four key pillars that will drive Lincoln’s economic future.
The Economic Development Strategy outlined two strategic tourism objectives:
- To develop a Lincoln-centered tourism strategy and action plan to provide needed infrastructure, expand capacity, increase visitor accommodations, and create memorable destinations, value, and services to attract more visitors to Lincoln.
- To initiate action on local tourism-related needs that lend themselves to immediate action (i.e. seeking investment for accommodation and signature destination experiences, and wayfinding signage).
Recognizing the sector’s potential for economic growth, the Town committed to the development of a comprehensive Lincoln-centered tourism strategy with tourism consultants, Wavefront Planning and Design Inc. and The Tourism Company in March 2019. The intent of this plan aimed to protect /promote Lincoln’s assets, ensure sector sustainability and support economic development by:
- Defining the role of the Town in the tourism sector;
- Strengthening and growing the local tourism economy, through job creation and sustainable jobs;
- Evaluating the Town of Lincoln’s strengths, weaknesses and opportunities;
- Attracting new investment; and
- Preparing a 5 -year action plan to guide the Town’s efforts.